Life for their Future
About the HEROS Clinic
The HEROS clinic opened at the Yale School of Medicine in 2003. HEROS is Connecticut’s first childhood cancer survivorship clinic. It is a unique sub-specialty clinic that focuses on screening and managing the potential long-term effects of childhood cancer treatment. The HEROS clinic provides education and guidance to empower survivors to take steps toward maximizing their health, quality of life and longevity as early as six months to one year out from treatment. We see anyone diagnosed with a childhood cancer at or before the age of 21. Follow up for our survivors is for life with us. There is no transition to another clinic.
The HEROS clinic is held every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Monday afternoon of each month.
Clinic hours: Are by appointment. Call 785-4640 to schedule an appointment with us. To make an appointment or to find out more about HEROS; please call 203-785-4640 or visit us on the web at www.HEROSCLINIC.com. Join us on Facebook, our social network and to find out what’s happening with HEROS. Follow us on Twitter to get real time updates about good health habits to prevent cancer, the latest research and upcoming HEROS events.
The HEROS clinic provides a supportive service that addresses your physical and mental well being. You have access to an array of various resources and expertise. We do not ask that you review with us what happened at diagnosis and treatment. From this point on you are a survivor and we are looking forward. When you arrive for your HEROS clinic visit you will be greeted by an experienced multidisciplinary team specializing in childhood cancer and late affects. At your visit you will be provided with information specific to your and your treatment history that will help you optimize your health and well-being.
- Nina Kadan-Lottick, MD: Oncologist
- Lyn Balsamo: Psychologist
- Margaret Grega, Research Associate
- Connie Nicolosi: Social Worker
- Tonetta Christie: Nurse Coordinator
- Stuart Weinzimer, MD: Pediatric Endocrinologist
- Stephen Brenner, MD: Internal Medicine
The Benefits of Coming to HEROS
- Peace of mind; knowing that you are doing all you can to remain healthy and pursue your life goals.
- Advise about steps you can take to maximize your health.
- A physical exam by an expert in oncology based on your treatment plan and common late effects associated with that treatment.
- A comprehensive review of your medical history, medical records and treatments.
- A summary of the results of your diagnostic tests and clinic visit sent to you and your primary physician.
- Health maintenance follow-up plan.
- Supportive care resources:
- Neuropsychological testing to help your child receive the services needed in school to be successful.
- Advocacy agencies to help with insurance problems
- Help finding a qualified therapist or counselor
- Referrals to appropriate specialties