Alcoholism; Alcohol-Induced Disorders
Dr. Arias researches new treatments for addiction to alcohol. Dr. Arias also is interested in helping to personalize medical treatment by applying genetics to treatment research.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Arias has worked on clinical trials for alcoholism for the last seven years, and continues to work on clinical trials of novel therapeutics to reduce drinking. Formerly a co-investigator at the Clinical Research and Evaluation Unit at University of Connecticut Health Center, he currently works as a co-investigator under the mentorship of Dr. Ismene Petrakis with her alcohol research group at the VA in West Haven. Dr. Arias is funded by an NIAAA K23 grant to study the medication zonisamide to treat alcoholism, and to further study state of the art clinical trial methods, as well as pharmacogenetics.
- Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Chan G, Weiss R, Brady KT, Farrer L, Kranzler HR. Correlates of co-occurring ADHD in drug-dependent subjects: prevalence and features of substance dependence and psychiatric disorders. Addictive Behavior. 2008 Sep; 33(9):1199-207. P
- Arias AJ, Feinn R, Covault J, Kranzler HR. Placebo-controlled trial of zonisamide for the treatment of alcohol dependence. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2010 Jun;30(3):318-22. PubMed PMID: 20473070.
- Arias AJ, Armeli S, Gelernter J, Covault J, Kallio A, Karhuvaara S, Koivisto T, Makela R, Kranzler HR. Effects of opioid receptor gene variation on targeted nalmefene treatment in heavy drinkers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 2008 July;
- Arias AJ, Chan G, Gelernter J, Farrer L, Kranzler HR Variation in OPRM1 and Risk of Suicidal Behavior in Drug-Dependent Individuals. American Journal on Addiction. In Press.
- Arias AJ, Feinn R, Covault J, Kranzler HR: Open-label study of memantine for alcohol dependence. Addictive Disorders and Their Treatment. 6(2):77-83, June 2007.
- Arias A, Feinn R, Kranzler HR: Association of an Asn40Asp (A118G) polymorphism in the mu-opioid receptor gene with substance dependence: A meta-analysis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2006 Jul 27;83(3):262-8. PubMed PMID: 16387451.