Behavior and Behavior Mechanisms; Mental Disorders; Behavioral Disciplines and Activities; Psychological Phenomena and Processes; Psychiatry and Psychology
Our group has been studying the treatment and pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Our work involves the use of various psychopharmacological probes (ketamine, delta-9-THC, iomazenil, etc) to evaluate the contributions of various neurotransmitter systems (NMDA, cannabinoid, GABA, etc) to the pathophysiology of schizophrenia; laboratory studies of comorbid substance abuse in schizophrenia, (alcohol, cannabis and nicotine) and clinical trials with novel agents for schizophrenia.
Extensive Research Description
- Neurobiology of Cannabis
- Cannabinoids, Neural Synchrony and Information Processing
- Cannabinoid Receptor Function in Alcoholism: Effects of D-9-THC
- Imaging Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors in Schizophrenia
- GABA Deficits and Vulnerability to Cannabinoid-Induced Psychosis
- GABA Deficits and Vulnerability to Amphetamine-Induced Psychosis
- Ketamine Nicotine Interactions in Humans
- Ketamine Interactions with GLYT1 inhibitor in Humans
- Cognitive Remediation in the Schizophrenia Trials Network
- Varenicline for Smoking Cessation in Schizophrenia
- D'Souza DC, Perry E, MacDougall L, et al. The psychotomimetic effects of intravenous delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in healthy individuals: implications for psychosis. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2004;29(8):1558-1572.
- D'Souza DC, Abi-Saab WM, Madonick S, et al. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol effects in schizophrenia: implications for cognition, psychosis, and addiction. Biol Psychiatry. 2005;57(6):594-608.
- Krystal JH, Perry EB, Jr., Gueorguieva R, D'Souza DC. Comparative and interactive human psychopharmacologic effects of ketamine and amphetamine: implications for glutamatergic and dopaminergic model psychoses and cognitive function. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2
- D'Souza DC, Gil RB, Madonick S, et al. Enhanced sensitivity to the euphoric effects of alcohol in schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;31(12):2767-2775.
- D'Souza DC, Gil RB, Zuzarte E, et al. Gamma-Aminobutyric acid-serotonin interactions in healthy men: implications for network models of psychosis and dissociation. Biol Psychiatry. 2006;59(2):128-137.
- Ranganathan M, D'Souza DC. The acute effects of cannabinoids on memory in humans: a review. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006;188(4):425-444
- D'Souza DC, Braley G, Blaise R, et al. Effects of haloperidol on the behavioral, subjective, cognitive, motor, and neuroendocrine effects of ?-9-THC in humans. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2008;198(4):587-603.
- D'Souza DC, Gil R, Cassello K, et al. IV glycine and oral D-cycloserine effects on plasma and CSF amino acids in healthy humans. Biol Psychiatry. 2000;47(5):450-462.
- Ranganathan M, Braley G, Pittman B, Cooper T, Perry E, Krystal J, D’Souza DC. The effects of cannabinoids on serum cortisol and prolactin in human. Psychopharmacology(Berl).2009 May; 203(4): 737-44 Epub 2008 Dec 16.
- D’Souza DC, Sewell RA, Ranganathan M. Cannabis and psychosis/schizophrenia: human studies. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 2009 Oct;259(7):413-31 Epub 2009 Jul 16.