Computer Graphics; Medical Informatics; User-Computer Interface
Dr. Powsner's research interests center around clinical data presentation and education. Computer technology makes it far easier to collect and retrieve clinical information than to understand it. Dr. Powsner's work tries to present data in ways that invite trainees to contemplate how their patients have responded to prior treatments, and then think through plans for further treatment. He is also exploring inexpensive digital video as teaching tool for active clinical environments.
Computers can make clinical information comprehensible, not just available. In collaboration with Professor Edward Tufte of the Dept. of Political Science, Dr Powsner has worked on graphical display of patient information. Better presentation of clinical information should simplify diagnosis and treatment.
- Wang D, Powsner S, Eisendrath S (2009) , Factitious Disorder In Kaplan H, Sadock B (eds), Comprehensive Textbook, , Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins
- Powsner S (2007) , The Emergency Department Setting In Leigh H, Streltzer J (eds), Handbook of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, New York, Springer, Published
Manufacturing vs repair in health care.
Powsner S (Nov 2005) "Manufacturing vs repair" in health care., JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association, 294(20)2580
Cognition, copyright, and the classroom.
Powsner S, Powsner D (Mar 2005) Cognition, copyright, and the classroom., The American journal of psychiatry, 162(3)627-8
Sex, Lies, and Medical Compliance.
Powsner S, Spitzer R, Sex, Lies, and Medical Compliance, Lancet, 361, 2003-4, 14 Jun 2003
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Melnick ER, Powsner SM, Shanafelt TD: In Reply-Defining Physician Burnout, and Differentiating Between Burnout and Depression. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017 Sep. PMID: 28870365
- Melnick ER, Hess EP, Guo G, Breslin M, Lopez K, Pavlo AJ, Abujarad F, Powsner SM, Post LA: Patient-Centered Decision Support: Formative Usability Evaluation of Integrated Clinical Decision Support With a Patient Decision Aid for Minor Head Injury in the Emergency Department. J Med Internet Res. 2017 May 19; 2017 May 19. PMID: 28526667
- Melnick ER, Powsner SM: Empathy in the Time of Burnout. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016 Dec; 2016 Nov 8. PMID: 27836111