Charles N. Walker MD
Assistant Professor of Urology
- Practice Locations: York Street Campus, Chapel Street Campus, Hamden, Guilford, and VA Connecticut Health Care
- Residency: Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Clinical Interests: Men's Health; prostate and other cancers of the urinary tract, sexual and erectile dysfunction, low testosterone and testosterone replacement therapy, and benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlargement of the prostate gland). Minimally invasive surgery to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, implantation of inflatable penile prosthesis, minimally invasive vasectomy, radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer, artificial urinary sphincter and male sling placement for urinary incontinence, laparoscopic and minimally invasive surgery for kidney cancer including cryosurgical ablation for kidney cancer.
Charles Walker, M.D., Assistant Professor of Urology, earned his medical degree with honors in research from Cornell University Medical College and completed his residency in general surgery and his residency and chief residency in urology at Yale-New Haven Hospital. He completed a six month research fellowship in the Urology Research Laboratories at Yale University School of Medicine during his residency and is Board Certified in Urology.
Dr. Walker is an advocate for men’s health and is committed to a holistic approach to patient care. He specializes in treating conditions and performing surgical procedures related to men’s health, including erectile dysfunction, vasectomy, minimally invasive prosthetic surgery (inflatable penile prosthesis, artificial urinary sphincter, male sling), testosterone replacement therapy, benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlargement of the prostate gland), and minimally invasive surgery to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia. Dr. Walker is a national proctor for Greenlight Laser vaporization of the prostate. His surgical expertise also includes radical prostatectomy, and laparoscopic kidney surgery. He is experienced at treating patients with complex medical issues and at performing successful surgery on patients who are considered high risk. Dr. Walker is continuously learning about and participating in the latest developments and innovations in the field of urology so that he can offer the newest therapies and surgical procedures to his patients.
Dedicated to improving the quality of life for men with erectile dysfunction and other male-related health issues, he has established the Cardiovascular and Sexual Health Clinic which is currently open and accepting new patients. Dr. Walker is developing a men’s health program in collaboration with the Yale Primary Care Center and has recently established a collaboration with the SIMs (Sexuality, Intimacy and Menopause) clinic which is run by the Gynecology Service. He is also Director of Oncology and Men’s Health at the VA Healthcare System in West Haven.
As a highly accomplished surgeon of African-American and Hispanic descent, Dr. Walker looks to continue expanding his practice and the awareness of men’s health to the local and regional African-American and Hispanic male population.
His research interests include high-risk prostate cancer, erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease, health disparity, and geriatrics. He is the site principal investigator for two national multicenter prostate cancer clinical trials at the VA Healthcare System. One involves men with high risk prostate cancer and one men who are on active surveillance of prostate cancer.
Dr. Walker is a member of the American Medical Association, American Urological Association, Society of Prosthetic Surgeons, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, National Medical Association, American Geriatrics Society, and Geriatric Urology Society.
Sexual Medicine Society of North America
Education & Training
- Georgetown University
- Cornell University Medical College (2000)
- Intern and Resident
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, General Surgery (2000 - 2002)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, Urology (2003 - 2005)
- Administrative Chief Resident
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, Urology (2005 - 2006)
- Board Certification
- Urology, Board Certified (2008)
Honors & Recognition
- Bristol-Meyer Squibb Academic Medicine Fellow, Fellowship Program in Academic Medicine
National Medicine Fellowships Inc. (2002)
- Urology Administrative Chief Resident
Yale University School of Medicine (2005)
- Doctor of Medicine with Honors in Research
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (2000)
- Conferred the degree of Doctor of Medicine with Honors in Research
Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY (2000)
- Editor, JAG Manuscript # JAG 14-0004 "Low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy improves erectile dysfunction - a pilot study with 2 years follow up." (01/01/2014 - 12/13/2014)
- Member, American Geriatric Society (01/01/2012 - 12/31/2012)
- Member, R. Frank Jones Urological Society (01/01/2010 - 12/31/2015)
- Moderator, Annual Meeting Scientific Program, R. Frank Jones Urological Society (01/01/2010 - 12/31/2015)
- Advisor, Minority Mentorship Program, R. Frank Jones Urological Society (01/01/2010 - 12/31/2015)
- Member, Geriatric Urology Society (01/01/2010 - 12/31/2015)
- Moderator, Prostate Cancer Awareness Support Group, VA Connecticut Healthcare System (01/01/2007 - 12/31/2011)
- Member, Society of Urologic Prosthetic Surgeons (01/01/2006 - 12/31/2015)
- Member, American Urologic Association (01/01/2006 - 12/31/2015)
- Member, Sexual Medicine Society of North America (01/01/2005 - 12/31/2015)